So scientists are more often than not perceived to be somewhat of a special breed. Like we’re not really in touch with other humans (think Sheldon Cooper from Big Bang Theory). And I will admit, I have met some scientists who are so intelligent, their intelligence is mind-blowing. And social-skills are pretty well blown as well. However the majority of us aren’t like that. So here’s a bunch of useless facts so you will see I really am a human just like you. Plus /minus my own unique quirkiness.
- Full name:
Anneline Padayachee (I do not have a middle name) – pronounced Anna-lean Pad-day-ya-chee (not being very well versed in Indian anything, I think I may be saying my surname wrong though haha!)
Ha. Yeah right.
- Place of Birth:
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
- Favourite food:
– 1kg of lychees – my LOVE for lychees is extreme. No kidding. The saying “the way to a man’s heart is through is stomach”… well for me it is pretty much the same as long as it is lychees that are on offer.
- Least favourite food:
– Anything that is deep-fried, battered and deep-fried, covered with icing/cream, sickly sweet or any artificial weird colour
– I don’t like sweets
– White bread
– Commercial sausages (aka mystery pockets!)
– Bland everything
– Tomato sauce
– Anything that needs tomato sauce to give it flavour
– Okra… I’m all for veggies and I’m all for jelly, but okra which is basically jellified veggie is not the easiest thing for me to swallow
- Favourite drink:
– Plain hot water
– Plain milk
– I don’t drink alcohol
– I don’t drink soft drinks (unless I absolutely have to)
– Very rarely will I drink juice, but if I do it’ll be tomato juice or a 100% cloudy fruit drink (with pulp please) and topped up with water.
- Tea or coffee:
– Tea – herbal, no milk, no sweetener
– Favourite flavour: ginger / rooibos / lemongrass and rooibos. If I do have milk, then a homemade masala chai tea boiled slowly from scratch.
- Favourite colour:
– Green. All shades. Especially bright green.
– And red. Everyone knows red cars go faster.
– And everything bright and not brown or khaki or all black (sorry Melbourne, but the whole Melbourne black thing is just so sad).
- Movies or Theatre:
Neither. I struggle to sit for a long time doing nothing. Plus my mind wanders so I don’t pay attention fully. Even when confined to a seat on a long-haul flight, I prefer to watch the flight path than a movie! It usually takes me 3 or 4 goes to watch a movie – bits and pieces over time. If I were forced to choose a movie for some unknown reason, it would most likely be “The First Grader”. And then maybe “Long walk to Freedom”, “Cry Freedom”, “The Power of One” or “Rabbit Proof Fence.”
- TV shows:
I don’t watch TV. It drains the imagination and the mind. And wastes time. I do not watch the news – it is filled with sadness and fear. Twitter, Flipboard, my mom and Hamish and Andy let me know what is going on in the world.
– Cook books. No sweat. I have the BIGGEST cook book collection. I read them like normal people read novels or the newspaper. I just love reading about food.
* Cookie Padayachee’s “2 Years to Live”
* Nelson Mandela’s “Long walk to Freedom”
* Latifa’s “My Forbidden Face – Growing up under the Taliban: A Young Women’s story”
* Dr. James Cole’s “Trauma: My life as an Emergency Surgeon”
– If I had to pick a fictitious story:
* Jerry B. Jenkins “Riven” (charts the destructive route from childhood to the death chamber of a young murderer born into a dysfunctional family environment)
* Bryce Courtney’s “The Power of One”, “Whitehorse” and “Tandia”.
– I LOVE Archie comics. Archie comics, a big bowl of lychees and a spot in the sun is my kinda chillax.
- Weirdest injury:
I have a few. My ex-supervisor and friend, Lisa, (blogger at Sucre Belle – you should check it out, her cake creations are AMAZING!) is testament to this:
– over-worked jaw and neck muscles from chewing too much gum (banned for 6 months!)
– torn patella tendon (I had a (15mm (length) x 4mm (breadth) x 2mm (width) shard of porcelain in my knee… for 6 months…no joke.)
– I accidentally got undiluted concentrated chilli pepper oleoresin (i.e. the same stuff police use in pepper spray – just concentrated!) in my eye at work… I had to be hospitalised and wear a patch for a few days…
- Favourite sport:
– V8 supercars and Formula 1 racing
– Surfing (Is there anything unlikeable about the beach?)
– One-day cricket (test cricket is only good the first half day and the last half day!)
– Rugby Union (go the Wallabies!)
Archery. Yup that’s right – complete bow and arrow Robin Hood style.
Caving – mud, frigid ice-water, dark, small spaces (even if I am claustrophobic), rough rocks resulting in scratched hands and finger tips. Seriously amazing stuff.
Fishing – all sorts. I just like it.
Pilates – hot pilates and reformer (I do pilates 5 times per week).
- Favourite quote:
Two quotes in particular:
– “Life is like a taxi: the meter keeps ticking whether you are sitting still or going somewhere” by Lou Ericko
– “Analyse your mistakes. You’ve already paid the tuition, you might as well get the lesson” by Tim Fargo